Assisting Foreign Child Trafficking Victims – online training from the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Division, Office of Refugee Resettlement, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Gang-Involved Sex Trafficking – online training to learn how gangs are trafficking women and girls for sex. From the National Human Trafficking Resource Center (NHTRC).
Domestic Sex Trafficking: The Criminal Operations of the American Pimp – Polaris Project guide for service providers and law enforcement describing domestic sec trafficking and the criminal operations of the American pimp.
Sex Trafficking at Truck Stops At-A-Glance – Polaris Project overview of sex trafficking occurring at truck stops in the U.S.
Child Sex Trafficking At-A-Glance – Polaris Project overview of child sex trafficking in the U.S.
Russian Driving Networks At-A-Glance – Polaris Project overview that describes the Russian driving network, including relevant laws, statistics, and cases.
Latino Brothels At-A-Glance – Polaris Project document describing the Latino sex trafficking networks, including relevant laws, statistics, and cases.
Fake Massage Businesses At-A-Glance – Polaris Project document describing the Asian Massage Parlor sex trafficking network, including relevant laws, statistics, and cases.
Sex Trafficking Networks – Polaris Project comparison chart of sex trafficking networks in the U.S.
DC Human Trafficking Task Force Organizational Model – Polaris Project document describing the mission and goals of the Task Force.
Information for Law Enforcement Officials: Immigration Relief for Victims of Human Trafficking and Other Crimes – HHS and USCIS information about immigration relief and the distinct roles USCIS and law enforcement agencies have in assisting victims of human trafficking and other crimes.
U Visa Law Enforcement Certification Resource Guide – DHS manual providing guidance to federal, state, local, tribal and territorial law enforcement officers concerning law enforcement certifications for U nonimmigrant status, also known as U visas.
Anti-Human Trafficking Task Force Strategy and Operations E-Guide – Developed in partnership by the Department of Justice’s Office for Victims of Crime (OVC) and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA), this e-Guide is a resource for both established and new Task Forces.
HHS / Administration for Children & Families Rescue and Restore Campaign Tool Kit
- Resource Overview (PDF 57KB)
- Tips for Identifying the Crime of Human Trafficking (PDF 48KB)
- Screening Questions to Assess Whether a Person is a Trafficking Victim (PDF 66KB)
- Understanding the Mindset of a Trafficking Victim (PDF 40KB)
- Communictating With Victims of Human Trafficking (PDF 43KB)
- Tips for Identifying and Interacting with Victims of Human Trafficking (PDF 50KB)
- PowerPoint Presentation for Law Enforcement Officers (PPT 138KB)
- Law Enforcement Pocket Card (PDF 176KB)
- Rescue & Restore Logo (PDF 210KB)
The Crime of Human Trafficking: A Law Enforcement Guide to Identification and Investigation -International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) guidebook for law enforcement on the crime of human trafficking that covers the federal law, tools for identification, investigation and response, and resources for victim assistance.
Anti-Human Trafficking Manual for Criminal Justice Practitioners – UNODC manual to support criminal justice practitioners in the prevention of human trafficking, the protection of its victims, the prosecution of its culprits and in the international cooperation needed to achieve these goals.
- Module 1: Definition Of Trafficking In Persons And Smuggling Of Migrants
- Module 2: Indicators of trafficking in persons
- Module 3: Psychological reaction of victims of trafficking in persons
- Module 4: Control methods in trafficking in persons
- Module 5: Risk assessment in trafficking in persons investigations
- Module 6: International cooperation in trafficking in persons cases
- Module 7: Crime scene and physical evidence examinations in trafficking in persons investigations
- Module 8: Interviewing victims of trafficking in persons who are potential witnesses
- Module 9: Interviewing child victims of trafficking in persons
- Module 10: Interpreters in trafficking in persons investigations
- Module 11: Victims’ needs in criminal justice proceedings in trafficking in persons cases
- Module 12: Protections and assistance to victims-witnesses in trafficking in persons cases
- Module 13: Compensation for victims of trafficking in persons
- Module 14: Considerations in sentencing in trafficking in persons cases
Toolkit to Combat Trafficking in Persons – UNODC manual with goal of facilitating the sharing of knowledge and information among policymakers, law enforcers, judges, prosecutors, victim service providers and members of civil society who are working at different levels towards the objectives of preventing and combat trafficking.
Needs Assessment Toolkit on the Criminal Justice Response to Human Trafficking – UNODC manual to provide comprehensive guidance for assessing the criminal justice response to trafficking in persons in a given State.
Handbook on Direct Assistance for Victims of Trafficking – International Organization for Migration (IOM) handbook providing guidance and advice necessary to effectively deliver a full range of assistance to victims of trafficking from the point of initial contact and screening up to the effective social reintegration of the individuals concerned.
Ethical and Safety Recommendations for Interviewing Trafficked Women – World Health Organization (WHO) manual providing a set of ten basic standards for interviewing women who are in or have left a trafficking situation.
Human Trafficking General Awareness Training – DHS slideshow.
Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs): Key Partners for Law Enforcement – Polaris Project’s self-running video/audio presentation that identifies the role that NGOs play, recognizes the benefits and challenges to building collaborative relationships with NGOs, and identifies strategies for building partnerships with NGOs.
U.S. Department of Defense Combatting Trafficking in Persons
First Aid Kit For Use By Law Enforcement Responders in Addressing Human Trafficking – UNODC manual that provides the necessary information to allow officers to take the vital first steps to protect the victims and catch the criminals involved.
- PDF of Presentation Slides
- Full version of booklet
- Link to download full content: posters, leaflets, contact sheets, booklet (38MB)
100 Best Practices in Combating Trafficking in Persons: The Role of Civil Society (The Protection Project)
Victim’s Empowerment and Access (US Department of State Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons fact sheet)
Victim Protections: Principles for Progress (US Department of State Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons fact sheet)
The Benefits of Smart Raids vs. Blind Sweeps (US Department of State Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons fact sheet)
Victim Protection Checklist (US Department of State Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons fact sheet)
OSCE Resource Police Training Guide: Trafficking in Human Beings (PDF, ?The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe)
What’s the Cost of a Rumour? A Guide to Sorting Out the Myths and the Facts About Sporting Events and Trafficking (PDF, GAATW) – There has been a lot published on the supposed link between sporting events and trafficking, but how much of it is true and how much of it is useful? In this guide, we review the literature from past sporting events, and find that they do not cause increases in trafficking for prostitution. The guide takes a closer look at why this unsubstantiated idea still captures the imagination of politicians and some media, and offers stakeholders a more constructive approach to address trafficking beyond short-term events. We hope this guide will help stakeholders quickly correct misinformation about trafficking, develop evidence-based anti-trafficking responses, and learn what worked and what didn’t in past host cities.